Friday, September 25, 2009

My (sort of) First Day

Yesterday I got a call from my new manager asking if I would like to attend a meeting tomorrow, as the 1st October is the beginning of the financial year. Even though I don’t officially start until Monday, I jumped at the opportunity to avoid first day nerves by over coming them in a meeting environment and by only being in for a few hours. Also, it meant I could understand some of the targets set for this year and last.

I was absolutely overwhelmed by the kindness of everyone that worked there. Everyone was introducing themselves or, if eye contact was met during the meeting, smiling at me in a friendly way.

After a little while my new manager officially introduced me to the company (about 30 people were there) everyone clapped in a welcoming way which, as if wasn’t embarrassing enough, they then proceeded to present me with a (and I’m not exaggerating) dinner plate sized Millie’s cookie (how did they know my favorite??) which had, written in icing “Welcome Katy”. They then proceeded to sing “Happy First Day To You!” Haha. CRINGE, but all the same, I felt so welcome – what a nice company!

The meeting was a mixture of presentations, team building and discussions and I felt comfortable enough to throw out some ideas in the group discussions, which my manager later, showed her enthusiasm over. Saying that, as the “New Girl” I didn’t want to say too much and look out spoken, so I mainly sat and nodded and smiled.

All in all a fantastic start to a new job and I am really genuinely excited to start work officially on Monday. No matter how shit my actual role is, at least I can see the kind of company I am going to be working with. Smile.

To top it all off, my lovely boyfriend is taking me out for a “surprise” dinner tonight to show me how “proud” he is in anticipation of me completing the half marathon on Sunday and starting my new job on Monday.

What a perfect day.
Strawberry Swing :o)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."