Friday, September 4, 2009

Recycle Mania. Remania.

Our small village of Lightwater has finally joined the 21st Century and we are now officially recycling.

Yesterday I was bombarded with information from my Step Dad who tried to explain to me where all our different bins are kept and what goes in which. My small little brain heard this:

"Bla bla bla... bin... bla bla bla... paper... bla".

You'd think it was simple but quite frankly, I don't think it is.

Firstly I asked him where our wasted food now goes, seeing as he has changed our usual bin which we use to dump all the kitchen waste into, into a "Recycle Only" bin which he has kindly stuck a note on marked accordingly, should we (I) forget. He turned to me in a straight forward manner and said, we don't waste food in this house. Um....

Well yes, OK, you ARE a human dustbin but surely there will be some food remains.. where do these go I pondered as I walked off aimlessly.

Whilst going about my day my first query was, where do I put my banana skin and strawberry leafy bits after I made my breakfast?? Currently they sit on the chopping board by the sink. Maybe they are biodegradable?? Was that what he meant? Or does he just want to eat them - CAN you eat banana skins?? Oh the questions in my mind.

Then as I got dressed for the day, I tossed a make up remover pad into my bin in the bathroom, I had to ponder over some of the most gross recyclable objects.

Where on earth do I put used condoms? eeeuuuwwwh. I don't wanna put them just EXPOSED and in the wrong bin for heaven's sake! Usually they get wrapped up tight in a tissue and binned, but heck, we can't mix paper and latex! Surely not! Where for art thou used condom?? And do we put the foil packet in a separate bin for all and sundry to know that we do indeed use, "Pleasuremax" for that "Extra pleasure"??

Holy crap. Perhaps I should write to the local government and ask them.

My banana skin is still on the chopping board. Along with the strawberry leafy bits.

1 comment:

Name: Jonny said...

Yes, you're right, the fruity bits goes into the biodegradable.

As for your condom question, thanks to that, I have learnt something new today from this website: http://ezinearticles.com/?Condom-Sense:--Condoms-and-the-Environment&id=344965

To be truly green, go natural, have kids. HAHA :-D

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."