Friday, August 14, 2009

And so, the premier league begins...

As of tomorrow my relationship with my boyfriend will take on a new dimension. Are you moving in together? No. Are you getting engaged? Heck no. Perhaps I should be more specific.

As of tomorrow, Wives and Girlfriends relationships with their Husbands and Boyfriends, all over the world, will take on a new dimension.

Tomorrow, the Premiership begins.

Tomorrow, us lovely ladies, the ones they wine and dine, that they lie in bed with on a Saturday morning, that they make love to and tell that there is nothing more that they want/ love/ need in the world, will fade into the background and become, the second most important thing in their partner's life.

No one can quite prepare us for the change ahead. Try as we might to be involved in the football - we'll watch the highlights, text our boyfriends for a score update, listen to them rant and rave about the referee's poor judgement over a red card, nod in agreement and frown in confusion, attempt to remember who plays which position and what that bloody off-side rule is. WE (the female race) shall not compare with that of their team. Or in my case, the mighty Blues, Chelsea FC.

What can we do over this 9 month period of time, where our once beloved partners disappear for days, evenings at a time and return to us, beer-bellied and full of testosterone?

Not a lot, just wait for that day in May to finally arrive. NO. You're wrong my friend!

Well for one, perhaps we could try and appreciate our partners love for the sport. Now, don't get me wrong, in my case I don't need to appreciate it, for I actually enjoy watching the odd game or two. But, I don't believe I'll be parting with £40+ per week to go down to the football club to watch the game live. But I'm more than happy to join my man down the local and chug down a Corona and watch the footie up on the HDTV.

But fret not, why worry? We now have one day a week where we can spend 40 guiltless pounds on whatever we have a passion/ desire/ need for and no, it's not saving for a season ticket for ourselves for the 2010/ 11 premier league... it's shopping! And Coffee! and Pampering! with our girlfriends!

As our men get themselves ready on a Saturday morning we have a WHOLE day to do whatever we like! We can go for a morning jog, have brunch with our best girlfriends, shop in Windsor (or in my case, window shop), have coffee in Starbucks and get home just in time to welcome our men home with arms wide open to congratulate them/ consolidate them over the game result. Having quickly popped on the Chelsea TV to know EXACTLY what happened and WHY that player got sent off and WHO scored that AMAZING goal.

See where I am going with this?


And the men shall realise, wow, football is great but I'm glad I have my lovely wife/ girlfriend to come home to after a hard day at the ground. And although the man shall never openly admit it to their partner, they will come to realise that in time, although their team may have their ups and their downs, their girl will always consistently be there for them when they get home, a smiley, happy face and they shall turn to one another and whisper, "I know I say that football is the most important thing in my life, but i really mean that my woman is". And the men shall nod, in agreement.


We can but dream. Coffee tomorrow girls?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."