Friday, July 24, 2009

Would you lie to your Mother?

What sort of relationship do you have with your Mother?

I think there are two categories. There's the "Mother & Daughter" relationship and there is the "Friends" relationship. Some people have said that when they reached their late teens/ early 20's they moved out of home and suddenly found that their once "Mother" was now their "best friend".

I do at times wish I had this relationship with my own Mother but alas, I do not. I have the good old fashioned Mother & Daughter relationship and today this was truly evident.

Whilst "fooling around" with The Boy, we, *ahem* inadvertently ripped my duvet cover. Don't ask me how, one minute we were *ahem* and the next, we had ripped the seam of the cover and made a gaping, unrepairable hole of about 2 foot. Shit.

In a complete kerfuffle, after he had left and knowing my Mother was due home any minute, I tried to think of a way of explaining how this unfortunate event had taken place. There was no way I could simply hide it - I've just had my whole room redecorated (in celebration of the grand return home, bless) and well, no, I couldn't get away with it. This cover cost £50 of my Mother's hard earned money - yikes. I felt like a 13 year old girl, all over again. Oh the shame of it.

As she came through the door I busied myself with making some lunch and her a cup of tea (ease her into it). Whilst my back was turned I harped on about my day and then just said "You'll never guess what i did in my sleep last night..." She frowned... "I must have been sleeping really restlessly and somehow (tried best to pull a confused face which I have perfected over the years) ripped my bed sheet..."

Dubiously she headed upstairs to look at the evidence and I made a joke about being worried she was going to "tell me off" (hoho) and she said, "well it wasn't your fault, I thought you were going to tell me you'd been fooling around with The Boy in it" *CRINGE*. I yelled some profanities in embarrassment. Surely that was enough to give me away?

Immediately, in her, straight-to-the-point-manner, she was on the phone to Next making a complaint over the quality of the workmanship and within an hour, we'd been down to our local branch and exchanged for a brand new cover. Hilarious.

A part of me wished that I could have just said "Cor, i was having a right steamy sess over lunch today and ripped my duvet cover"... that would have been the "Best Friend" relationship, but for the foreseeable future, I think we'll keep it with "what a restless sleep".

What would you have done? ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiyoh, there's no way i could ever tell my mom the truth if i were in your shoes. it's probably possible to tell your mom if she was a hippie :p

Melancholy Thongs said...

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA ... tsk tsk ... must have been some really wild and pent up session! At least no stains :PPPPPPPPPPPPP

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."