Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sing when you're wining

Do you ever find that that you have a habit you tend to do when you’re stressed/ not stressed, happy/ unhappy? Like for me, if I’m stressed I tend to not eat because my tummy is tied up in knots and it makes me feel nauseous, whereas when I’m sad, I tend to eat a lot (probably for comfort). Sometimes you don’t even realize you’re doing it, right? It’s just a natural instinct.

Well for me, there is one other. Singing. And when I’m happy the place I love singing the most is (no, not in the shower) in my car. With the volume up so that the base is distorted and my windscreen mirror vibrates to the beat. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I have something on my mind that is causing me concern, I tend to zone out in the car, I can’t handle the loud sound and so turn it down and just sit and wait for the journey to end.

This morning I sang in my car (like really sang, from the heart) for the first time in over a week. I sang loudly, so loudly, completely out of tune and with the window down. To the extent that two people in the next lane laughed at me!

Its funny how just one action that normally comes so naturally without thought can be switched off when you’re not in the right frame of mind and when it comes back to you, something inside is telling you that you’re doing ok. And that you’ll be fine. Just fine :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."