Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Skin & Bones

I feel offended. One of my friends from the UK who I’ve known since I was about 11 left a comment on one of my photos on FB saying that I looked “soooooo skinny” I laughed it off and said I was going for the lean/ athletic look as oppose to the latter.

Then some emails have been going back and forth between friends as we are trying to plan a get together and she keeps addressing me as “Hey Miss Skinny” and “Can’t wait to see your skinny body” I’m like – WTF?

Then last night, I was at the hair dressers and I bumped into a girl that I use to hang out with all the time when I first moved to KL, I can’t have seen her in so long as she said oh this is the first time I’ve seen you with braces. But more notably the first thing she said was “oh my god you’re so skinny” I just said thank you as I’m getting use to this (what I feel is a criticism) comment. Then as she left she hugged me and said “you should really try and put some weight on over Christmas, you don’t even look like you any more”. I was like … speechless!

Maybe it’s me but I think of a skinny person as someone who doesn’t work out, has no muscle definition and no fat - "skin and bone". I personally like to think of my body as “slim” or “trim” because I know for a fact that I am not skinny. I have a bit of a belly on me (which I like to refer to as my food baby) and the rest of me, well, yeh its ok, it’s in proportion. But I would say its lean as in, I have muscle definition especially in my legs from running and my arms and shoulders are nicely defined. I know my chest is a bit boney but that is common in runners too. I am really distressed by this constant “skinny” comment.

The thing that bugs me the most is you start to wonder how “fat” you really were before and why people told you that you weren’t fat before you lost weight but yet constantly fixate on your weight loss. If you weren’t over weight in the first place then how can you become under weight?

I’m not one of these people who have a distorted body image, I know what I look like. Yes I admit, I scrutinize myself a bit, especially lately as ironically I have gained about 3 kilos in the last couple of months but I know all in all, my figure is “alright” I’m a size 10.

So please, if you want to compliment me tell me the following:

1) You look so slim
2) Your boobs look huge today

That's all that's necessary, really.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."