Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wahoooo I did it!

I did it! I did it! I did it!

Distance: 21.2km Half Marathon
Where: Singapore Island
Time: 2 hours 28 minutes and 35 seconds
Position: 538th out of 3,044 women
Pain Factor: Most excruciating body pain yet (ranking higher than Mount Kinabalu epidemic)
Enjoyment Factor: positively 10/10
Would I do it again: Yes 100% BRING ON THE FULL MARATHON!



In the early hours of Sunday 7th December I woke from a restless 5 hour sleep to sound of my alarm belting out in my ear at the ungodly hour of 04.45am. I jumped out of bed and into the shower to try and wake myself up from my half awake/ half asleep/ semi dream/ coma. Recklessly shaking H to “get up, lazy bum”, gulped down a banana and 500ml of water and headed out into the blackness, bumping into thousands of zombies all dressed very similarly to myself. I was nervous but excited all the same, this is THE big day I had been working towards since before I knew it. I thought back to February when I thought running for 6 minutes was an achievement… those days were long gone.

As we made our way to the start line I moaned to H that I needed to pee… again… for the millionth time. I really don’t drink much fluid so the last few days were really taken its toll on my poor weak bladder, so we queued for the porta-loo with what seemed like 49,999 other racers. Eventually I got my good luck hug and I headed for the start line. I was stumped at about 150 metres short! But I was there, nevertheless.

The total number of people competing in the Full marathon, half marathon and 10K was 50,000 compared to the first race in 2002 which had a measly 2,665 competitors – crazy!

The music was pumping over the speakers, my adrenalin was high and the final minute countdown began I focused my energy, switched on my I pod, took a deep breath and begun.

The first 5K was a breeze, I concentrated on running at my all time slowest, but was surprised when I got to 5K and had already been running for well over 45 minutes, I really needed to up my pace if I wanted to make my 2.5 hour target. I was thankful I had taken the Imodium before the race, it certainly worked (and I wasn’t constipated afterwards) but all that water played havoc with my bladder! As I resisted the temptation to stop and take a pee (Paula Radcliff style) it eventually evaporated into seemingly salty sweat – nice! As I speeded up over the bridge I heard my name being called and H waving from the side line, I gave him a smile and a wave for the camera and continued on. The race went smoothly with no real comments at this time to make. But as I reached 12K I started to feel the pressure. I noticed a guy had been running very close to me for about 1km. Eventually I pulled out one side of my headphone and asked if he was pacesetting himself against me. He sheepishly smiled and said yes and I told him to at least be polite and introduce himself then! We exchanged names, shook hands and kept in line with each other for about 6K. I’ve never ran with anyone before. At first I felt kinda awkward but eventually it felt really comfortable having someone weave in and out through the slower runners and help keep my pace. When we passed water stations we nodded to one another agreeing whether to pause or not and every now and then he passed me some Energy gel, which I declined but was appreciative of. At our last water stop I quickly asked him what his target time was, he said 3 hours and I suddenly thought to myself, I might be helping him but he is a hindrance to my speed. As he continued to fall behind me (despite my gau ya’s! And lei lei’s!) he told me to go on without him (was comical, like something out of a movie “Forget about me! Save yourself la!” We laughed and I went off ahead. Each man for them self in a race I guess. In a selfish way I’m glad running isn’t a team effort, I honestly think it was the first time in my life I’ve ever felt “fuck it” – I dumped him and headed on alone.

By this point I’d hit the last few K and I was struggling, I pulled over for the first time and stopped for about a minute, stretching out the unbelievable cramp up the backs of my legs and retching up bile on the side of the road. I quickly downed some 100 Plus, grunted, spat and picked up my speed again, passing people from the start who had flown by me and were now limping and catching up with the comfortable, steady runners. The supporters began to grow and thankfully I saw outstretched hands full of deep heat. I swiped at them with my sweaty palms and smeared the paste all over my kness and hamstrings and ran simultaneously (I’m talented I know) – note to self, do not rub sweat out of your eye when you have just rubbed deep heat into your leg – it burns!!!

The last K I nearly, oh SO nearly fell into a walk, the pain was absolutely unbelievable, I cannot express in words. Pure pure agony. But I had promised myself that whatever happened I would not walk. WOULD NOT dammit! I nearly shed a tear but once again I pushed myself back into the sprint. I never and I mean NEVER fail myself. At 500 metres I looked down at my watch, I had 4 minutes left if I wanted to get there in under my target time so I bolted like a rocket and ran down the 100 metres to the speakers playing Michael Jackson’s “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough” – perfect!

As I crossed the finish line I did a double jump in the air with pure ecstasy and also to ensure my Championchip (hooked to my trainer)registered my time and then gasped heavily half a dozen times. As I leant forward I had to steady myself and then literally limped to the finishers tent to collect my medal. It was over, I did it. But I couldn’t smile, I was concentrating on not dying until AFTER I picked up my medal.

Shortly after H appeared out of nowhere giving me a massive hug I was soaked to the bone and I stood there in my sports bra and pro runners smiling with exhausted glee as he snapped my photo with my big fat chunky medal. He was so, so proud of me and I was even more so of myself, it was an awesome feeling.

As I downed another bottle of water and another bottle of 100 plus I hobbled back to the hotel for some well earned rest, a hot shower and then met H and a friend for brunch which was a carb fest! Later I passed out for a well deserved power nap and then we partied (or rather I sat on a stall and danced with my upper body) until 4am. Then we went for yummy hawker food before passing out until the next morning.

When I eventually got back to KL last night I lay in my bath bubble bath, my body was aching soooo bad and my throat was very tender and voice grainy, and then had thorough enjoyment at poking my massive blister (yup there was 1 at about 17K onwards but it wasn’t too much of a hindrance) with a needle (it was lovely and juicy!) and finally, fell into a deep dreamless sleep at 8.30pm despite the offer of a well cooked meal at a friend’s place.

This morning I woke to slightly less pain (or perhaps I’ve just got use to everywhere feeling bruised) an extremely sore throat, a chesty feeling, looking “stoned” (according to Bombies who told me this over lunch ) and pure “ergh”. It was 6.30am. Time for work! YAY! (not).

But my God was it worth it. I’d do it all again in an instant! Except… I think I need just a teeny, weeny bit more rest. So I’m off to sleep, with my lem-sip and hot water bottle – I’m running a temperature now… but at least my body is lying on a comfy bed wrapped in luscious sheets and cuddling a teddy bear.

Until the marathon… I salute myself! Good night!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."