Thursday, December 25, 2008

A "Pigeon" and A Pear Tree...

We had the FRIGHT of our LIVES this morning. As I dragged myself out of bed to my Mum's boundless childlike energy and made my way down to our living room to open "Santa's" presents we heard this strange sound come from our chimney.

As we all looked over we saw dust start to pour down and a random twig land on the floor. I joked that Santa was stuck and my Step Dad said it was probably the wind outside shifting the dirt. But there was no wind...

My parents decided to turn on the gas fire (I don't really understand why) and my Step dad went outside to look at the Chimney just to check nothing untoward was going on. Suddenly there was this crazy noise and then BAM a giant PIGEON was lying on our fire place!!! Covered in ash and crap and shaking furiously!

I screamed and jumped up on the sofa and my Mum yelled for my Step Dad. I then started to piss myself laughing - what the HELL were we gonna do with this pigeon in our living room???

As I started to order and instruct my Step Dad what to do (open the patio door and grab a towel to pick it up in!) he said well you seem to know what to do - you do it! Ha! I said I'd only seen that they pick up birds from behind and hold their wings so they can't move on animal rescue shows I wasn't going to actually do it! But my Mum stood there in her dressing gown and rollers, my Step dad suddenly confessed out of no where he had a fear of birds and I had no choice!

So I crepped up behind it in my fleece PJs and a giant towel and slowly crouched down and wrapped it in the towel and carried it outside... the poor thing was making some WEIRD noises and shaking like mad but it was as light as air - I was surprised. All the while, my Mum stood there all snappy happy taking photos (which I'll upload to this blog later!) and placed him outside.

Pete, (who I fondly refer to him as) slowly moved away and nestled himself amongst the shrubbery in our garden. I was the hero! Haha! We all laughed about it after and even now as I glance out of the window I can see him on top of our fence. His wings aren't broken as he managed to fly up there but the poor thing is obviously in shock! We're keeping an eye on Pete and will call the RSPCA if he doesn't appear to get any better in the next few hours... or alternatively... cook him for lunch! :P

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."