Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Green Eyed Monster

Why is it that we can't take happiness in another's person joy or cherished moment?

On Friday, a young girl in my office had a dozen red roses delivered to her! She was absolutely overjoyed and smiling from ear to ear. As I walked into the office and saw them on her desk i was so so happy for her as she looked so in love and delighted. So I made a big fuss and said Wow! Who are they from (knowing full well that they were probably from her boyfriend) but wanted her to bask in her excitement some more :)

She looked up and told me they were indeed from her boyfriend and I said, is it your anniversary or a special occasion? And she said no, the card says just because he loves me. I smiled at her, she was ecstatic and I remembered how great a feeling it is to get flowers "just because" whether it's from a boyfriend or just a friend. Flowers make every girl smile. So i said, well isn't that just lovely hu?

But of course there is always one "sour puss" who just has to say something to knock you down from your pedestal. So this lady in my office, who is Malay, in her late 40's single and usually so bubbly and friendly (and who had totally been eavesdropping) turns around and says "ooooh a man doesn't send flowers "just because" he must have done something wrong - ho ho ho" The poor girl hesitantly smiled/ laughed it off and then her smile kinda drooped. And I just thought, you cow.

Whether its simply a joke or not, why do people who are so obviously jealous feel the need to do it? I simply don't understand it! No matter how crap you feel, just share their happiness, it's not hard for gawd's sake! Of course, I would walk away smiling for her and yeh, OK, you are gonna think awh, wish I'd get some (I did by the way, a single rose from Bombie last week - "just because") :)

So I turned to her and "jokingly" replied with - ooooooh somebody's jealous (with a wink) and she blushed and subsequently dropped the conversation and told the girl how lovely they smelt. I winked at the girl who smiled back gratefully and walked away.

Silly moose.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."