Thursday, April 16, 2009

That'll teach ya!

I needed to venture down to the China Embassy this morning to organise my visa for Beijing. I looked up where it was on a google map and it seemed to be a fair way down Jalan Ampang. So I decided to take a cab as I figured, by the time I take the LRT and walk it will take a lot longer.

I waved for a cab outside my office and jumped in and said "on the metre, yeh?" but of course, the lousy Indian said 10 myr. 10 myr to Jalan Ampang?? That's pricey, but I couldn't be arsed to argue as well, I'm over fighting out 5 myr here and there. You never win and it's just too much time and effort. By the time you eventually agree to disagree and hail down another taxi you're only going to have the same argument with the next one - whether it be Malay, Chinese or Indian!

Once a driver tried to charge me 30 from my apartment to the BSC - that should cost about 4 myr. Honestly...

Anyway, so I agreed fine, couldn't even be arsed with a sarcastic reply. He didn't know where it was but I had written it down - 229 Jalan Ampang and directed him. As he blabbered away on his phone, paying no attention whatsoever I kept an eye out for the embassy along the road side whilst spotting the Thai Embassy which had a HUGE queue outside (which is crazy, given the political unrest there at present).

Eventually I said, you've obviously missed it, turn around. So we did and the driver was convinced that it was at the Bank of China. I was beginning to doubt myself and said, well, you should know better than me lets try. So we drove back towards KL (by this time we'd been driving about for a good 20 mins) and as it transpired, he was right (dam it, i hate being wrong). As I got out i passed him the 10 myr note and he looked at me and said "only 10 lor??"

and my reply...?

"Well you wanted to go off the metre."

I smiled sweetly and jumped out.

Don't hate the player, hate the game ;)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."