Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I have ADHD

Sitting at my desk, office oh so silent, except for the pushing of keys and shuffling of papers. I have this insane need just to blurt out something really loud! Like a "mah" or a "waawaa" but I can't. It's unprofessional and immature but... i.. just... can't keep... it... in! Dammit. I've even put music on to drown out my thoughts of letting any noise release from my mouth.

Perhaps I have ADHD afterall. Look at the symptoms:

Adult vs. childhood ADD / ADHD

The symptoms of ADD / ADHD change as someone with ADD / ADHD develops from a child into a teenager and then into an adult. While the core problems of hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and inattentiveness remain the same, the specific symptoms manifest differently. Typically, the symptoms of hyperactivity decrease and become more subtle, while problems related to concentration and organization become more dominant.

Hyperactivity in adults:
inability to relax - i NEVER relax (well except when I have time)
restlessness, nervous energy (oh oh! that's me but mainly cause of work and boys...)
talking excessively (there is no denying this symptom)

Impulsiveness in adults:
volatile moods (I do swear when i'm drunk)
blurting out rude or insulting remarks (SEE!!! As above!)
interrupting others (can't help it, always have an opinion that matters more than yours or a more interesting experience that happened to ME that i MUST share immediately)

Inattentiveness in adults:
“tuning out” unintentionally (i tune out everyday!!!! whenever someone boring talks to me.. gee... this is getting scary)
inability to focus on mundane tasks (hello, like now, trying to do my office job and i can't focus!)
constantly losing and forgetting things (can't for the life of me find my new lip gloss i bought at the weekend)

It's official, I have ADHD. Whatever next?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."