Saturday, January 31, 2009

i'm shagging my hairdresser

Met up with A&F for lunch at La Bodega, Pavilion today, was fun :) 'A' was complaining about having to "confront" her hairdresser about the way he cut her hair last week. She said she knew her hair the best and he wasn't listening to her. Funnily enough, we have the same hairdresser and I said I felt the same last time I went. I really wanted mine cut a certain way and he was just like, "No". Mah. I said to 'A' I was considering changing hairdressers, but I am a firm believer that once you've found a hairdresser who can cut hair vaguely well (this is Malaysia and I'm sorry to say but they only know how to cut "Asian" hair) listens to you and you feel comfortable enough to speak up to, stick with him.

And then I laughed and said that I felt a relationship with your hairdresser is much like sex with a partner. You meet, and through the first "consultation" you get to know what each others basic needs are (what you want as an end result and what he will do to get you to that "cut" perfect). Then he makes his move. The first time is never really "perfect" he doesn't really know the way your hair "sits" and the end result is, satisfying enough, that you go back for another "hair cut" but definitely needs another few "consultations" before you're really satisfied with it.

So the next time you go back you feel like you know each other a bit better and you make small talk and he begins to "experiment" a bit more and you begin to feel generally more comfortable and can tell him "more" (cut off the length) or "faster" (if you're in a rush to get back to the office) or "not like that" (if you're dissatisfied with his approach). And so it goes.

At first he might take offense (as in mine and A's experience) but eventually, he will see that if he does what you ask, (after-all you know your "hair" best) then eventually you will be "happy" with the "hair cut".

So, if you feel the first few times you have a hair cut by a hairdresser that it was "ok" but "could be better" don't just give up - work at it. TELL him where to move his scissors and how dark you want the dye.

Eventually you'll get the haircut you want. And, if you never really get that perfect "haircut" then look around, eventually you'll find the perfect... "hairdresser"... :P



By the way, I wanted a flippin fringe... next time!!! Or else I'm dumping him!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."