Friday, January 9, 2009

We are Family... I've Got All My Sisters With Me!

In the UK an auntie is actually your auntie. I.E The SISTER or SISTER IN LAW of your Mother or Father.

In Malaysia, Auntie is used as a respectful term when addressing someone older than you.

Today my colleague's boyfriend rang and whilst speaking to Sue referred to her as Auntie. Sue was mortified (even though she is older than him and the address was, technically speaking, correct).

We all laughed so much and all day we've shouted "auntie" at her when we wanted her attention. The whole office has in been fits of giggles and what's worse, to wind her up more is that the rest of us are all referring to one another as "Sister" which is used in Malaysia as someone who is of the same age or younger than you!

That's something I like about working in Malaysia and my office in particular. In the UK all people do is sit in offices and bitch. I like how my colleagues work hard but when they have a giggle it's usually over something silly and innocent.

I wonder if it is like this in all offices or if I have just managed to employ particularly kind and sweet people? Whatever, I am proud of my team and proud that I judge interview candidates mainly on personality, because if you have a good strong and friendly personality, more often than not you'll get the job done and you'll create a nice working atmosphere for all around you, therefore making work a happier place to be.

(That totally contradicts every miserable entry I've ever written about my job, but you know what I mean)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom
"I have found that if a problem rears its head, the best way to deal with it is by being highly emotional, inconsistent and super irrational and the problem tends to go away..."